Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Is ‘A’>’P’???


Below stated is the becoming the most “amazing” fact of my life:

I am an I.T engineer with 2 years of work- experience with India’s 2nd largest company Infosys and currently pursuing my MBA. But still everyday, like a kid, I am instructed and indeed forced to attend all the lectures.

I used to think that in a “B-School “, B stands for Business but now over the last two months I have gained an insight into its actual meaning that logically “B” stands for Bearing everything, and here lies the essence of my future college life. And the 3rd degree starts right from the morning itself with our compulsory attendance. I think professors believe that the number of students present is directly proportional to their interest in that particular subject. Doesn’t matter if students are mentally present but yes physical presence is vital for their registers. I believe, in the race to count these A’s and P’s they forget the basic fundamental of teaching which is imparting education but not merely delivering lectures.

Making students sit in the class defeats the basic purpose of that class indeed when few are interested and rest are merely waiting for their attendance roll call. The biggest irony of the situation is that in these classes we are imparted knowledge to become managers which means becoming independent and managing your life well. But the freedom of doing that is taken away with right here only. I don’t understand why it is so necessary to take interest in each and every subject when there are so many to pick and choose. The compulsory attendance rather takes away that time also which could have been utilized in some other area of interest. But this ordeal becomes worse when there are some extra classes too to attend.

However, I think, likewise our Indian constitution our college institution should also give us the right to freedom and education(real one).

12 comments:

  1. Interesting post:) now what are u going to do to change this??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your point. Its amazing the system I have here @ VGSoM. Classes are till mid day, followed by plethora of assignments and case studies, generally thought provoking.
    But has to regard Godbole Sir, even after all the system glitches, he follows his style.
    Advice: Enjoy and Stay Cool. You'll do good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm...directly approaching any prof wudnt help so would like to conduct a small survey of those colleges where attendance is not necessary and will try to substantiate it that attendance has nothing to do with learning.
    Its the right attitude which matters not the no of lectures attended...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Luv: you are right if the lectures are till mid day no problem but at our college it usually takes our whole day... moreover after attending these lectures..if I don't have time to implement it..its worthless

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good one Supriya ............keep blogging ur experiences

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope some of Your prof. read this....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you have not realized a hidden weapon : ......................" PROXY " ;)

    well jokes apart I think MBA is a generalist degree than a specialist one, so the multitude of subjects and remember to lap up all that because that is what you are being prepared for. To be a manager !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ashu: thanks
    @rachit: they should
    @sid: you are underestimating me and my profs also..i have tried it and failed also :P..its MBA not engineering...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! Great effort Supriya! I would also love to add something to what you wrote.

    The knowledge which you were reffering to in your article is a misnomer in the first place and what actually happens in those lectures can be summed up as: "Knowledge is passing from the professors notes to the students note, without passing through the minds of either!" :P

    Further i also think that 'managers' cant be produced in 10ft x 20ft classrooms! In short my MBA is not shaping up the way i wanted it to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha...well said Sarthak!!! srsly yaar...its so true!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well Miss Supriya i think that you can get as much or as little from everything depends on what you want and MBA classrooms would really not teach you unless you want to learn !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @sid: I will block you..huh..for heaven's sake this is not our infy 'adda'...

    ReplyDelete